According to reports, the accident happened last Sunday when the nine-year-old attempted to give the bear food through the bars of its cage. He had gone to the Hebin Park Zoo in central China with his grandfather as a treat. When his grandfather went to buy sweets, the child clambered over a safety rail to get nearer to the animal. The boy was pushing his arm into the bear enclosure when the animal caught hold of him.
The boy’s heartbroken parents have slammed the zoo, saying staff should have been supervising the bear.
|The boy’s father cries in a corridor at the hospital, where what was left of his son’s arm was amputated|